SOMERVILLE, Mass — “I was absolutely shocked,” says neighbor, Mary Liz Veling.
A sunny Saturday afternoon in Somerville turned cloudy as neighbors watched flames shoot out from this house on Walker Street.
“The sky was just totally dark gray. We were trying to figure out how to hop over the fence to make sure no one was in the house,” says Veling.
“We heard some screaming, and we came out and the entire front side of the house was burning,” says neighbor, Pena Giotiszymaris.
One man’s dog even started barking alerting him something was wrong at his neighbor’s house.
“I don’t know if she smelled the smoke, or she heard the crackling, but she let me know that there was something wrong and I dialed 911,” says the neighbor.
According to fire officials, everyone including a cat made it out of the house unharmed
“Very relieved,” says Veling.
However, those who live in the home will have to live somewhere else because of the fire damage.
“I feel devastated for them that they are going to have to relocate,” says Veling.
At least three residents were displaced Saturday afternoon after a raging fire broke out at a Somerville home.
An exact cause hasn’t been determined but fire officials say the fire that erupted in the back of a Walker Street home is not considered suspicious. The back of the building was charred and blackened by the high-intensity flames.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW
©2023 Cox Media Group