Construction worker identified in fatal accident after a Boston parking garage collapses

BOSTON — An investigation is underway after part of the Government Center Parking Garage on Congress St. collapsed Saturday evening, killing a construction worker.

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority announced Monday morning that train service is suspended until further notice in the area near collapse. The MBTA said Green Line service will be replaced by shuttle buses between Government Center and North Station. Orange Line service is also suspended between North Station and Back Bay.

“I’m lost, a lot of people like me are lost right now, we don’t know what we’re supposed to do,” said Jose Belis, who was trying to get back home to Chelsea Monday after work.

He and many other commuters had to hop on shuttle buses now that the Orange and Green lines won’t run through the Haymarket stop.

“Service will not resume until a team of structural engineers, examining and assessing infrastructure above and below the surface, confirms that service can safely resume,” the MBTA posted on its website early Monday morning. “We will provide updates as inspections continue.”

Boston Police identified the construction worker who died as, Peter Monsini, 51 of South Easton.

The family of Peter Monsini released a statement Monday afternoon.

Monsini’s family described him as a hardworking, single father who leaves behind an 18-year-old son.

“We are in shock and trying to process the loss of Peter. He was a loving son, brother, father, uncle and friend. He was full of life, passionate, thoughtful, and will be missed deeply by his family and partner Alicia,” according to the statement. “We want to thank the Boston Police, Fire and EMS and all responders who came to Peter’s aid. We also want to thank Operating Engineers Local 4 as well as our neighbors, friends and well-wishers near and far for the kind words we have received. As we begin to come to grips with our loss, we respectfully request privacy and peace at this time.”

Captain Kelley McCormick said crews were doing planned demolition work when part of the garage collapsed Saturday around 5:40 p.m.

Investigators spoke to witnesses who said Monsini was on the top floor of the garage in a Bobcat-style machine when the floor buckled, sending him falling nine stories over the edge.

“We heard a loud crash and we saw a piece of equipment, a digger, falling, and we knew it was something serious,” said Kathryn Curran, who was in the area and saw the tragedy unfold. “Then we could hear sirens very quickly after that.”

“It remains very much active, and the city will work to do whatever it takes so that we understand what happened here,” said Boston Mayor Michelle Wu. “I am just devastated by this tragedy and really thinking of all who have been impacted.”

The construction firm John Moriarty & Associates is assisting with the investigation and released a statement.

“Our heartfelt thoughts and condolences go out to the loved ones of the worker who lost his life,” John Moriarty & Associates said in a statement. “JMA remains committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for all our employees and trade partners. We would like to thank the Boston Police Department and EMS for their swift response.”

Monsini was working at the site as an employee of JDC Demolition Company. JDC released the following statement:

“There are no words that appropriately describe the loss of Peter Monsini, our JDC Demolition teammate. Our thoughts, prayers and condolences are with Peter and his family.”

Boston Police are urging drivers to avoid the area near the collapse during the Monday evening commute.

Police say the commute will be impacted by the closure of Surface Road between New Chardon Street & Sudbury Street.

Traffic will be diverted from North Washington Street to New Chardon Street or to the Southeast Expressway.

“We like everybody else feel terrible about the operator who lost his life and his family,” said Governor Charlie Baker Monday. “It’s a complicated project and I’m glad that no one else was hurt given the size and scope of the accident.”

Gov. Baker says it could take several days before the MBTA service is fully restored and some of the roads around the garage open back up.

The event itself is a horrible tragedy for the gentleman who died as well as for his family and obviously for all the coworkers involved, and I do think it’s going to be important that this site be tread on lightly as people do the work of investigating what happened,” said Gov. Baker.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW