1 hospitalized after couch catches fire in room on top floor of Somerville apartment building

SOMERVILLE, Mass. — One person was taken to the hospital after a fire broke out inside of a room on the top floor of an apartment building in Somerville early Friday morning.

Firefighters responding to a report of a blaze at the housing complex on Kent Street around 4:30 a.m. found a couch in an apartment on the fourth floor that had caught fire, according to the Somerville Fire Department.

A man in the apartment was taken to the hospital. There was no immediate word on the extent of his injuries.

Residents on either side of the burned apartment were displaced as a result of the fire.

Video from the scene showed a large emergency response.

There were no additional details immediately available.

The fire remains under investigation.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW