• Danvers barn goes up in flames, killing baby chickens

    Updated:

    DANVERS, Mass. - A building went up in flames early Wednesday morning just off the campus of St. John's Preparatory School in Danvers, Massachusetts. 

    A barn on the property of 36 Spring Street was engulfed in smoke Wednesday morning when fire crews got to the scene. 

    Few details were immediately available, but several fire engines and ladder trucks were on scene battling the blaze. 

    "The fire was in pockets throughout the building, up in the roof area and because we couldn’t put anyone inside, there are portions of the floor that collapsed, ceilings that collapsed," Danvers Fire Chief Robert Pyburn said. 

    Real estate sites listed the property, which dates back to the 1800s, as a multi-family home with additional dwellings. 

    According to the fire chief, no one was inside the barn. However, he said there were animals. 

    "Unfortunately, I believe there are a dozen baby chicks inside," Chief Pyburn said. "He had a little area set up with heat lamps. And, obviously, they didn’t make it"

    Next Up: