2 treated for CO poisoning in Bedford

BEDFORD, Mass. — Two people were sickened by carbon monoxide levels in a Bedford apartment building Sunday.

Bedford Police and Fire responded to 1105 Albion Road at 5 p.m. for a reported carbon monoxide alarm activation. Upon arrival, firefighters' detectors confirmed high levels of CO, and they ordered a complete evacuation of the building's 20 apartments.

Two residents were taken to the ambulance for CO poisoning but are expected to recover.

Fire officials said the problem was with the buildings' boiler and building management began repairing it; residents were allowed back in their homes around 8 p.m.

Exposure to carbon monoxide can produce flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, fainting, unconsciousness, and in serious cases, can be fatal.

Police and fire credited the properly working carbon monoxide detectors for saving the lives of residents in the building.