A serious crash on I-93 in Braintree killed a pedestrian on Sunday night, according to a release from the Massachusetts State Police.
Officials responded to the scene just after 8:30 p.m. after receiving calls about man lying in the middle lane on I-93 South in Braintree prior to Exit 5. Upon arrival, police learned that the man had been struck by a Honda Accord and was unresponsive.
After unsuccessfully administering CPR and other emergency aid, first responders transported the victim to South Shore Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. Officials are not releasing the identity of the victim at this time.
>>RELATED: Three people taken to hospital after two-vehicle crash in Andover
Three people were traveling in the Honda Accord that struck the man. All three were transported to Milton Hospital.
The crash caused lane closures and traffic detours on the highway, according to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.
MassDOT said the southbound side of the highway was closed as a result, with police saying all lanes were open in a release around 10:20 p.m.
The department said traffic was detoured off of I-93 at Route 37. The investigation into the incident is still under investigation by the Mass. State Police. Assisting them are the State Police Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section, the State Police Crime Scene Services Section, and the State Police Detective Unit for Norfolk County.
This is a developing story, and will be updated as more details are released.