Friday’s Sox-Yankees game to proceed after start to series postponed

NEW YORK — The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees’ big series was put on hold Thursday after six Yankees players tested positive for COVID-19 including slugger Aaron Judge, according to ESPN. That game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on August 17 at Yankee Stadium.

Friday’s game, which was in question following Thursday’s postponement, will be played as scheduled, the teams announced Friday afternoon.

The American League East rivals were supposed to begin a four-game series at Yankee Stadium Thursday, the first game since Tuesday’s 2021 All-Star Game.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said three of the players who tested positive were pitchers Jonathan Loaisiga, Nestor Cortes Jr., and Wandy Peralta, all of whom are fully vaccinated.

The team has not publicly shared the names of other players who reportedly tested positive, though ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported Thursday that all-star Aaron Judge is among them.

Major League Baseball postponed Thursday night’s game and is in the midst of conducting contact tracing while the clubs continue testing.

So far this season there have been eight COVID-related postponements in baseball, last season there were 45.

In late June, MLB said 23 of 30 teams had reached 85% vaccinations among top tier individuals which includes players and on-field staff members, but the Red Sox were not in that group, however, the Yankees were.

In May, a half-dozen members of the Yankees tested positive for COVID including members of the coaching staff.

A makeup date has not been scheduled nor is it clear if Friday night’s game will be played.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.


Download the free Boston 25 News app for up-to-the-minute push alerts

>> Complete Covid-19 vaccine coverage

RESOURCES:

- Complete local and national coronavirus coverage here

- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter | Watch Boston 25 NOW

- Download our free apps for your phone and smart TV