WAREHAM, Mass. — Four people from Maine are facing charges in Wareham after police say they were illegally poaching baby eels.
Late Saturday night, a Mass. Environmental Police Lieutenant saw a vehicle with four people inside in the area of Wareham police say is known for the illegal harvesting of baby eels. All four people were taken into custody for Marine Fisheries violations.
One person was found with crack cocaine and a crack pipe. A search by K-9 officers also found heroin and hypodermic needles. Ammunition was also found inside the vehicle and none of the four people in the car possessed a valid license to carry or firearms identification card.
All four people were booked on the following charges:
- Possession undersized American Eels
- Harvesting Eels without a permit
- Possession of fine mesh net in the vicinity of coastal waters
- Possession of ammunition without a valid LTC / FID
- Possession of Class A drugs (heroin)
- Possession of Class B drugs (crack cocaine)
- Trespass with a Motor Vehicle
© 2020 Cox Media Group