Two arrested in connection to Fourth of July shooting that injured 8-year-old

Two arrested in connection to Fourth of July shooting that injured 8-year-old

BOSTON — Two men were arrested in connection to a July 4 shooting that injured a 35-year-old man and an 8-year-old girl, Boston Police announced in a Friday night press conference at BPD headquarters.

Ian King, 28, of Dorchester and Nathas Jacquecine, 31, of Boston were arrested on Friday at 3:40 p.m. in the afternoon. Both were located in different locations in Mattapan.

A source tells Boston 25 News that the two suspects are brothers, despite their different last names.

Content Continues Below

King and Jacquecine face a litany of charges related to the alleged Roxbury shooting:

  • Assault with Intent to Murder
  • Assault and Battery by Means of a Deadly Weapon (Gun)
  • Unlawful Possession of a Firearm
  • Unlawful Possession of Ammunition
  • Discharging of a Firearm within 500 Feet of a Dwelling

Both suspects are set to be arraigned in Dorchester District Court on Monday.

When asked by reporters, Boston Police Commissioner William Gross mentioned that both victims remain in stable condition at the moment. He also added that preliminary investigation shows that the 35-year-old man appears to have been the target of the shooting.

Commissioner Gross went on to express his noticeable anger over the shooting of the 8-year-old, saying that people should be allowed to go out on the Fourth of July and celebrate without being worried about being shot.

"The best personality that I’ve seen in a while," Gross said about the 8-year-old victim. "I think the kid should have her own Nickelodeon show. And that's what, quite frankly, pissed me off even more. A kid like that – her death would’ve been a tragedy.

"Anytime our children in our neighborhoods are injured as a result of senseless violence by individuals who are violating our constitutional rights to enjoy our freedoms, it's a shame."

He thanked detectives and investigators who worked tirelessly for the last eight days. Commissioner Gross also thanked the community in their help in the capture of the two suspects.

"I'm very happy that the community's helped us out because it sends a message that those individuals that think they can do what they want, that thumb their nose at the laws, that now we have the community working with us again," Commissioner Gross said. "So we're happy for this arrest."