Second suspect, a juvenile, arrested in drive-by shooting death of Connecticut toddler

HARTFORD, Conn. — A second suspect – a juvenile – was arrested Wednesday in connection with the drive-by shooting death of a Connecticut toddler, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news

According to WTIC, Hartford police said the suspect, whose name has not been released, is facing charges of accessory to murder and second-degree larceny in the killing of 3-year-old Randell Jones. The suspect’s bond was set at $1 million, the news outlet reported.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Connecticut man, 19, charged with murder after toddler killed in drive-by shooting

The shooting occurred shortly before 2:30 p.m. April 10 as Jones, his mother, a man and two other children were inside a vehicle, police said. Authorities said a passenger in a nearby Honda Accord opened fire at the car, striking and critically wounding Jones, WVIT reported. The boy was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died, police said.

Investigators, who believe the man inside the vehicle with Jones was the intended target of the shooting, later obtained a warrant for the arrest of the suspected gunman, 19-year-old Jaziah Smith, according to WVIT. Smith, who was arrested Monday, remains jailed on $2.5 million bond, WVIT reported.

Police believe the second suspect was the driver of the Honda, which had been stolen, according to WTIC.

Read more here or here.