HARTFORD, Conn. — A 3-year-old Connecticut boy was fatally shot in Hartford on Saturday when a gunman in one vehicle opened fire on another, authorities said.
Patrol officers were called at around 2:25 p.m. after the city’s Shot Spotter system registered gunfire, Hartford Police Department spokesperson Lt. Aaron Boisvert told the Connecticut Post.
“While officers were canvassing, an area hospital alerted dispatch that a 3-year-old victim had been transported with a gunshot wound,” Boisvert told the newspaper.
The boy was initially listed in critical condition but died at the hospital, the Hartford Courant reported.
Camera footage in the area captured images of a black Honda Accord pulling up alongside another vehicle, where a passenger in the Honda fired “shots directly at the other vehicle,” Boisvert told the Post. “The intended target of this shooting appears to be a male passenger of the victim’s vehicle.”
The vehicle that was struck then left the scene, the newspaper reported.
The vehicle involved in the shooting was later found unoccupied, WFSB reported. The car had been reported stolen out of Windsor Locks, the television station reported.
The investigation is ongoing, police said.