Three safely escape fire on Christmas morning, house a total loss

Three safely escape fire on Christmas morning, house a total loss
A fire destroyed a Braintree house on Christmas morning, but thankfully three people safely got out. (Jenn Platt)

BRAINTREE, Mass. — Three people safely escaped a house fire on Christmas morning in Braintree, according to the Braintree Fire Department.

The fire department got a call around 8 a.m. reporting the fire on Pleasant View Ave. A husband and wife in their late 50′s and early 60′s, along with an adult son, were all home when the fire started, said Braintree Fire Chief James O’Brien.

He said the mom smelled smoke, saw the fire and got everyone out safely. The father was taken to an area hospital for precaution and some firefighters were taken to the hospital for exhaustion.

Content Continues Below

The wind made the fire difficult to battle and the closest fire hydrant was a bit away, which aided in the difficultly, O’Brien said. The family is staying down the road with neighbors, he added.

The fire might have been caused by a gas fireplace, O’Brien said. The home is a total loss.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family following the fire.

Randolph and Quincy fire departments assisted.