Red Sox AL East Championship banner case closed with no criminal complaint

Red Sox banner returned to team days after 3 friends found it on road

The case involving the Red Sox American League East Championship banner that went missing Tuesday has been closed without a criminal complaint.

The banner for the now AL East champions never made it to Fenway Park Tuesday after an unusual pit stop in Malden.

Three friends, Louie Iacuzzi, James Amaral and Randy Baldasarri, say they were out for coffee on McGrath Highway in Somerville on Monday morning when they spotted something on the road.

Content Continues Below

"One person ran it over and hit it a little bit," Iacuzzi said. "I'm like, 'Pull over, what is it?'"

Iacuzzi said the banner was wrapped in brown paper, and they waited until they got out of the car to open it.

"We thought it was jerseys or something like that," Baldassari said. "That's what it look like, and when we unraveled it and seen what it was, we knew it was something big."

Amaral said the group opened it up behind Green Street Park, and quickly realized what they had.

This story was first reported by Boston 25 News on Tuesday night.

On Wednesday, Tony Lafuente, owner of Flagraphics in Somerville -- the company that made the Red Sox banner -- filed a police report.

"All I know is that the banner was on my truck yesterday," said Lafuente. "Whether it fell off my truck or walked away I don't know - it's up to police to figure out."

A spokesperson for the Red Sox on Tuesday said they were aware of a banner that fell off a vendor's delivery truck.

On Wednesday, however, the Red Sox spokesperson clarified that how the banner was lost could not be confirmed.

The friends aren't worried about superstition, and instead, believe it will bring good luck.

"I'm going to give them back the banner, and that's going to be the good luck charm," Iacuzzi said.

The Red Sox tell Boston 25 News Wednesday evening that the banner has been returned.

A spokesperson for the city of Somerville told Boston 25 News on Friday that "the Somerville PD has spoken with all parties involved and the case has been closed with no criminal complaint."