• Several families displaced after cooking fire in South Boston apartment

    By: Christine McCarthy


    BOSTON - Several people are out of their homes following a fire at a South Boston housing complex Friday night. 

    A resident’s son told Boston 25 News a deep fryer started the fire in his mother’s kitchen, forcing his mother and his grandmother, who is visiting from Puerto Rico, to dart out of the apartment.

    “She tried to evacuate from the front door, because the kitchen’s actually toward the back door, but the door actually wouldn’t open,” said Edward Pagan. “So she actually went through the flames and got out the back door.”

    Firefighters had put out the flames at the Boston Housing Authority complex on Orton Marotta Way shortly after 4 p.m., but one firefighter injured his shoulder and was transported to a local hospital.

    Several displaced residents spent the night in the Housing Authority office arranging hotels and finding temporary shelter.

    Some residents said being forced out of their homes is even more difficult in the bitter-cold temperatures and with the holidays so near. But many expressed gratitude to have made it out safely with their families.

    “That’s the most important thing,” Pagan said. “Everything else is secondary.”


    Judge puts off request to dismiss lawsuit in mystery deaths

    Trash truck driver injured after being hit while getting receptacle

    Next Up: