BOSTON — As Boston rings in the new year and celebrates the end of a decade, city officials are making sure it all runs smoothly and safely.
Despite the cooler temperatures and the icy conditions on Monday, crews were out on Copley Square preparing the city for the big event on Tuesday night.
Last year, more than 250,000 people attended the New Year’s Eve celebration.
This year, much like they did in 2018, city officials are focused on making safety a top priority so Bostonians and tourists can all enjoy their night without worrying.
“You will see uniformed officers, we will have plainclothes officers," said Boston Police Commissioner William Gross. Gross added that there might even be hidden security at the event, ensuring safety even where we don’t see it.
“Every year there is always something new of a concern but I think we have it down pretty solid here in Boston,” said Mayor Marty Walsh.
For the New Year’s Eve celebration, Boston is working with state and federal officials as well as the MBTA.
“The biggest asset law enforcement has is you, the public,” said MBTA Transit Police Chief Kenneth Green. “Be our extra set of eyes.”
Police assure the public there is no credible threat to their safety and the measures being taken are simply for precaution.
City officials are pushing for people to use public transportation and the MBTA will be offering free service starting at 8 p.m. on New Year’s Eve through 2 in the morning on New Year’s Day.
© 2020 © 2019 Cox Media Group