BURLINGTON, Mass. — A man was killed in a fire at a Burlington home Thursday afternoon, where neighbors say a 90-year-old woman lives with her son.
Firefighters and other first responders swarmed Maryvale Road Thursday afternoon and blocked off several streets in the area as crews fought the fire.
Burlington’s fire chief later told Boston 25 News a man had died in the fire and an elderly woman was left in critical condition.
Cheryl Janes was home on her lunch break when she noticed flames shooting out the roof of the home next door to her on Maryvale Road.
“My heart just sank and I ran out the door and saw, then ran back inside and dialed 911,” she said.
Another neighbor and a delivery truck driver had taken matters into their own hands before firefighters could get there. They ran inside and rescued the elderly woman.
“I wouldn’t recommend anybody going into a burning building...but they are to be commended for their actions for sure,” Fire Chief Mike Patterson said.
The woman was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.
“She didn’t look burned so much as she had some smoke -- some black from the smoke -- and she was disoriented and in shock and still not sure what was going on,” Janes said. She visited the woman in the hospital.
Chief Patterson said heavy flames prevented firefighters from rescuing the man who was later found dead inside the house.
Officials say improper disposal of smoking materials caused the fire.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group