Plymouth boys help save neighbors from overnight house fire

Plymouth boys help save neighbors from overnight house fire

PLYMOUTH, Mass. — At 12:30 a.m. on Thursday, 11-year-old Chayce Mello woke up at his Plymouth home on Rocky Hill Road and smelled smoke – he had his window open to enjoy the summer breeze.

Shortly after, he woke up his 15-year-old brother Ayden Mello, and the two began looking for smoke in their house. On the way to their basement, they saw the glow from their neighbor's house.

The back of their neighbor's house was on fire.

Content Continues Below

Chayce woke up his mother, Amy Jean Perry, who called 911 while Ayden ran over to the neighbor's house and yelled for them to wake up while pounding on the door. He managed to wake two of the people in the house up.

The Plymouth Fire Chief told Boston 25 News that four people were in the home and barely got out.

"Could have been a much different outcome without the neighbor helping out," the Chief said, adding that the house burned quickly.

A 69-year-old man was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation while firefighters spent two hours trying to get the blaze under control.

The Fire Chief called the two boys heroes for their efforts to save their neighbors.