Lawrence school checked, students returning to class after reports of gas odor


LAWRENCE, Mass. — 9:10 a.m. - A tweet from Lawrence Mayor Dan Rivera said the school was evacuated "out of an abundance of caution" and the building was checked and cleared. The gas at the school has been turned off. He stressed that the incident was in no way related to the Sept. 13 gas explosions and fires.

8:41 a.m. - The Lawrence Public Schools spokesman said the building has been checked by the fire department and students are returning to class.


Officials responded to reports of a gas odor at Parthum Elementary School in Lawrence Tuesday morning.

The school was evacuated last week after a gas smell was reported. A boiler that was leaking gas was believed to be the cause. Students were then moved to another school. Two other schools also had reports of gas odors last week, but officials said in each case, the odor was traced to work being done or malfunctioning equipment.

Sensitivity to gas odors has heightened since the Merrimack Valley gas explosions and fires in September.