LAWRENCE, Mass. — More than 50 homes were impacted Monday after a contractor struck a gas line, officials tell Boston 25 News. Gas was restored to those homes on Monday night around 9 p.m.
Gas and electricity were shut off on Florence Avenue in Lawrence after fire officials say a contractor struck a low-pressure gas line.
"Our line was correctly marked and the contractor hit the line, despite it being marked correctly," said Kelly Merritt, a spokesperson for Columbia Gas.
Columbia Gas tweeted just after 2:30 p.m. that repairs could take anywhere from six to 12 hours.
"We turned off everybody's meter that was impacted, so we will go house to house to do relights," Merritt said. "So turn on the meter and go inside their house and relight their appliances. So that does take some time."
A shelter was open at Arlington Elementary School on Arlington Street in Lawrence for those impacted.
There have been no reported injuries and no reports of fires.
Just days ago, residents in Methuen had a scare after a gas leak on Center Street. The source of that leak was quickly found and warnings to residents were lifted.
© 2020 Cox Media Group