METHUEN, Mass. - Emergency crews in Methuen have located the source of a gas leak and have contained it, police said.
The gas has been shut off as crews will now work to repair the leak. Officials are going to remain on scene and talk to residents.
The incident happened at around 3 p.m. in the area of 135 Broadway Street and 129 Centre Street after police said a gas odor was detected.
Columbia Gas said their crews are on site and working with police and firefighters to fix the leak as soon as possible.
As of 4pm, gas has been shut off to the location of the leak & evacuated residents on Center St. are able to return to their homes. Crews are continuing to work to ensure the safety of our natural gas dist. system & we will provide additional info. as soon as it is available. 2/2— Columbia Gas MA (@ColumbiaGasMA) November 15, 2019
In a Tweet, the utility company said the gas odor was detected during a routine gas leak survey.
Our crews are onsite of a gas leak at 133/135 Center St. in #MethuenMA and are working to fix the leak as quickly as possible. Immediately upon detecting an odor of gas during a routine gas leak survey, crews worked with first responders to evacuate nearby building occupants. 1/2— Columbia Gas MA (@ColumbiaGasMA) November 15, 2019
The road was shut down temporarily and people in the area were evacuated as a precaution. At around 4 p.m., residents were allowed back into their homes.
Residents and others were asked to stay away from the area and to seek alternate routes.
No injuries have been reported.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.