Police: Man who broke into home killed tenant, raped woman

Man accused of raping ex-girlfriend, murdering other man in Lowell

LOWELL, Mass. — Prosecutors say a man broke into the home of a woman he knows, killed a tenant, then raped the woman when she got home and discovered the dead body.

Hoeup Honn was held without bail at his arraignment Tuesday pending a hearing to determine whether he is a danger.

Not guilty pleas to charges including aggravated rape and assault and battery causing serious bodily injury were entered on his behalf. Prosecutors say they anticipate filing a murder charge.

Content Continues Below

Prosecutors say Honn went to the Queen Street apartment where his former girlfriend lived Monday, where he allegedly saw her with another man.

Friends say the man was staying there temporarily and the two were not believed to be romantic. They say Honn saw it differently and became jealous.

He allegedly returned Monday to attack the man, punching and choking him until he died.

"He punched him several times to the face, knocking him to the ground, and then held him in a choke-hold for approximately 45 seconds when he believes the victim became lifeless," said Christopher Tarrant, the Assistant District Attorney fo Middlesex County.

Then, Honn allegedly texted his ex who came home to the man's body. She was then bound to a chair with her feet tied with a t-shirt.

Prosecutors say Honn loosened the restraints only to sexually assault her.

Authorities in a statement said police responded to the Lowell home at about 3 p.m. Monday after the woman fled when the suspect fell asleep.

Honn allegedly told police: "Did I rape her? If that's what you want to call it."

The victims' names were not released.

"He's a very loving man, a very kind-hearted person," said the victim's son. "He shouldn't, never deserved anything like this."

The 38-year-old Honn's court-appointed attorney declined to comment. Prosecutors say Honn has a prior assault and battery from February involving the same woman and another assault from 2102.

He was held without bail and is due back in court on Sept. 25.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.