• Married couple dies in Pittsfield house fire

    Updated:
    PITTSFIELD, Mass. (AP) - Authorities say an early morning house fire in Pittsfield that killed a couple in their 70s and injured their daughter was likely caused by an electrical cord that short circuited.

    The fire was reported just before 4 a.m. Thursday.

    Fire Chief Robert Czerwinski says firefighters arrived to find heavy fire and smoke coming from the first floor.

    The couple was trapped inside.

    The woman died at the scene. Her husband was taken to Berkshire Medical Center where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

    Their daughter, who is in her 30s, jumped out a rear window onto the deck and ran to a neighbor's house to call 911. She suffered minor burns and has been released from the hospital.

    The victims' names weren't immediately released.

    Next Up: