Man accused of killing Vanessa Marcotte meets with new legal team

Man accused of killing Vanessa Marcotte meets with new legal team

It's been two years since the man suspected of killing Vanessa Marcotte was arrested. Still, her family and friends have had to face him in Worcester court waiting for a trial date.

After Angelo Colon-Ortiz was arrested in April 2017, his case was moved to Worcester Superior Court. Colon-Ortiz fired his three previous attorneys last month and now his new legal team has asked for more time.

>> Unsolved: Who killed Vanessa Marcotte? A look at the clues left behind

Content Continues Below

In a court filing, his former legal team wrote, "It's abundantly clear we could no longer represent the defendant" citing "an irreconcilable and irretrievable breakdown" in the relationship.

"We certainly aren't trying to delay things, we filed motions today to be able to get up to speed quickly," said attorney John Swomley.

One of the motions, to review evidence in the case, including the DNA sample that prosecutors say led them to Colon-Ortiz in April 2017. He was arrested months after police say he attacked Vanessa Marcotte while she was jogging near her mother's Princeton home, sexually assaulted, and killed her.

"Every case as serious as this is complicated and certainly the stakes involved are very large," said defense attorney Eduardo Masferrer.

That's why Colon-Ortiz's lawyers say a trial likely won't happen until late 2019 or early next year.

Many more months where Vanessa's family will again be forced to sit and wait.

The next appearance is April 1.