Police: SWAT team responds to Franklin, armed man fires 'multiple rounds’ at armored vehicle

Police: SWAT team responds to Franklin, armed man fires 'multiple rounds’ at armored vehicle

FRANKLIN, Mass. — Police say an armed man experiencing a mental health crisis barricaded himself inside a Franklin condominium, called police and then fired multiple rounds at an armored truck after a SWAT team responded to the neighborhood Sunday afternoon.

One Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council (Metro-LEC) SWAT team officer was struck by the ricochet of a round fired by the man, but the officer was not injured and did not require medical treatment, police said.

Content Continues Below

“SWAT officers were then able to engage the subject from inside the armored vehicle utilizing 40mm less than lethal munitions, Taser, and a K9 team,” Franklin Police Chief Thomas Lynch said in a statement.

The man, who was taken into custody while still possessing the firearm, was later treated for minor injuries at a local hospital and will undergo a mental health evaluation, Lynch said.

The incident began shortly before 1 p.m. Sunday, when police received a 911 call reporting a man experiencing a mental health crisis in the Spruce Pond Condominium complex.

The caller also told police that the man was armed with a handgun, threatening harm to himself, and anyone who approached.

Initial responding Franklin Police officers set up a perimeter and made initial contact with the man. The Metro-LEC SWAT team also responded to the scene.

At some point during the incident, the man “fired a multiple rounds from a handgun striking the armored truck containing the SWAT officers,” Lynch said.

“Because of the availability of this kind of armored equipment, the SWAT team did not return fire with the subject,” the police chief said.

The incident resulted in several area residents, some as far away as Medfield, receiving a “shelter in place” alert.

That “shelter in place” advisory has since been lifted, police said.

Lynch, the police chief, said he’s grateful no serious injuries were reported.

“We are thankful that this incident ended without the loss of any life,” Lynch said. “It also serves as a reminder that incidents of this type can happen anywhere, and at any time. Officers need the tools available to them to be able to respond safely, with the goal always being the preservation of all life.”

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW