The Massachusetts Department of Public Health announced a shift in its monkeypox vaccine strategy, Friday, with a focus on prioritizing first doses of the vaccine.
The reason for the focus on first doses of the vaccine is due to “the severely limited national supply of JYNNEOS,” according to DPH. The monkeypox vaccine is approved as a two-dose series.
“This approach is intended to provide the broadest possible protection against the spread of monkeypox virus in Massachusetts and is consistent with a growing number of states, jurisdictions and large municipalities,” DPH said in a release posted to the state’s website.
DPH says all second dose appointments scheduled as of August 8th will be honored, but that “no new second dose appointments will be scheduled until additional vaccine is available.”
A section of the state’s website aimed at providing information for health care providers states for people whose immune system is moderately to severely compromised, “second doses [of the vaccine] should still be administered using the 28 day dosing interval.” Boston 25 News has reached out to the DPH for clarification on whether or not this means that people meeting this criteria will still be eligible to sign up and receive a second dose of the vaccine, given the new guidelines. So far, Boston 25 News has not received an answer to this question. Boston 25 News will continue to update this story with more information as we receive it.
For more information regarding eligibility for the monkeypox vaccine, please click here.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
©2022 Cox Media Group