Weymouth police chase suspect held without bail, 4-year-old girl being treated at Boston hospital

WEYMOUTH, Mass. — A judge ordered a Randolph man remain behind bars until a dangerousness hearing Tuesday following a wild police chase in Weymouth that ended in a head-on collision.

24-year-old Dylan Costello was arraigned on more than a dozen charges in Quincy District Court Friday.

Weymouth Police Detective Sergeant Rob Regan told Boston 25 News Officer Edward Yakubian tried to stop Costello just before 11:30 a.m Thursday in the area of 1200 Pleasant Street. Yakubian reported Costello was driving on the wrong side of the road, running red lights and passing cars all while failing to stop for him.

Yakubian pursued Costello into Jackson Square, but then lost sight of him. He eventually located him on Bridge Street where he said Costello again refused to stop and fled at a high rate of speed.

Ryan Bond was dropping his brother off at school when he said he saw police in hot pursuit.

“This little black car came balling down the street and was doing like 100 miles an hour,” Bond told Boston 25 News. “I was like, what is this guy doing? Running from the cops? All of a sudden I see the blue lights. I see Weymouth Police chasing after him."

Yakubian said Costello reached speeds in excess of 100 miles an hour in the 35 mile an hour zone.

Regan said Costello lost control of the car as he approached the Fore River Bridge and crashed into three other cars, hitting one of them in the opposite travel lane head on. No one in the cars was hurt.

A 4-year-old girl, 17-year-old girl and Costello’s father were also in the car Costello was driving, according to Regan. All four were taken by ambulances to South Shore Hospital.

In court Friday, the prosecutor said the 4-year-old girl was transferred to Boston Children’s Hospital for further treatment.

The girl’s relationship to Costello is unclear.

(NOTE: In court Friday, the prosecutor identified the 4-year-old girl as Costello’s daughter. Boston 25 News followed up with the Norfolk County District Attorney’s office and learned Costello’s relationship to the girl is unclear at this time.)

“The Department of Children and Families has received a report and is investigating in collaboration with law enforcement,” an agency spokesperson told Boston 25 News.

Yakubian reported seeing a man behind the wheel of the car during the pursuit, but Costello told police he wasn’t the one driving. He said the 17-year-old passenger in his car was the driver. Police said they overheard Costello yelling at the teenage girl to take the blame and as a result they charged him with intimidation of a witness.

Police also charged the teen with misleading a police officer for trying to tell them she was the driver.

The teen was released from the hospital to a custody of a relative Thursday. She’ll be arraigned in Quincy Juvenile Court at a later date.

Prosecutors said the car Costello was recently purchased by an acquaintance of his who told police Costello took the car without her consent. Stolen license plates were attached to the car, according to prosecutors.

Regan said Weymouth Police were looking for Costello a couple of weeks ago to arrest him on outstanding warrants for similar reckless driving charges. They were unable to locate him, but Boston Police later arrested him in Charlestown.

Prosecutors said Costello was on probation at the time of the crash for a case out of Fall River District Court.

In addition to the witness intimidation charge, Costello is also charged with negligent operation of a motor vehicle, failure to stop for a police officer, a marked lanes violation, two separate speeding charges, leaving the scene of an accident with property damage, concealing a license plate, operating a motor vehicle with a suspended licenses – subsequent offense, operating an unregistered vehicle, operating an uninsured vehicle, using a motor vehicle without authority and two counts of reckless endangerment of a child.

When asked if she had a comment on her son’s arrest, Costello’s mother, Jonna Costello, told Boston 25 News, “o [expletive] no.”