Lowell 2-family house goes up in flames

LOWELL, Mass. — Smoke was visible for miles as a house on Durant Street in Lowell erupted in flames on Wednesday.

Witnesses said it moved quickly.

“The whole second floor was engulfed the roof was on fire and it was just blowing out through the rafters of the house,” said Patti Newman, who lives just down the street.

Sky 25 overhead caught the flames as they devoured the roof of this two-family home.

Firefighters tell Boston 25 they got the call just after 3 p.m. Wednesday.

By the time they arrived on scene, thick, black and gray smoke filled the air and was visible for miles.

“As we arrived on scene we saw that the fire had a big head start on us,” said Lowell Deputy Fire Chief Bob Destrempe.

They immediately evacuated residents. “One occupant was home, one was not. They’re safe, no injuries,” Destrempe said.

Fire had already ripped straight across the top, where it “got into the attic area quite quickly,” said Destrempe.

At one point, the flames were so intense fire crews pulled back and fought the flames from the outside.

“The whole top floor was just up in flames and you could tell they were putting one side out and the other would spark up again,” said Krystal Cagan, who is a neighbor.

Within an hour, firefighters had gotten the fire under control and then worked to put out hot spots on the roof.

And while the house suffered severe damage, no residents or firefighters were injured.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW