‘Pot candy’ sends 3 King Philip Regional HS students to hospital

WRENTHAM, Mass. — Three King Philip Regional High School students were sent to the hospital after eating marijuana edibles.

Wrentham Police Chief Bill McGrath told Boston 25 News that a school resource officer was alerted when one student came to the nurse’s office feeling ill.

“Today the school resource officer was notified that there was a student (who) was feeling ill at the nurses office and they concluded at some point that he had ingested candy that we believe are edibles,” said McGrath. Police added that the students are not in any danger. Parents in town, however, were quite worried.

‘That’s a scary thing,” said parent Tammie Jo Hicks. She is curious how they got ahold of the drugs.

“I find it very concerning. They’re too young to be experimenting with this kind of stuff,” said Hicks.

King Philip High School Principal Lisa Mobley sent out a letter to parents reminding them that drugs on campus are prohibited.

“Marijuana remains illegal for minors to possess or consume in Massachusetts. Edible products are easily confused as candy and snack items, and we encourage you to have open and honest conversations with your children about the risks and dangers of these products,” Mobley said.

Parents hope the marijuana sickened students are OK.

“I just pray that the kids are fine and they learned their lesson,” said Kim Fruci, who is a high school parent.

That lesson is one others hope the students won’t forget anytime soon.

“It’s not good for you. You know, you got a taste of it and you know it made you sick. Hopefully you’ll never do it again,” said Hicks.

Police say this remains under investigation and as of yet there are no charges.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW