WHITMAN, Mass. — Whitman firefighters responded to a Tier One Hazmat incident on Tuesday night involving pool chemicals.
Shortly before 8 p.m., first responders received a report of a chemical incident at 44 Hilltop Road.
Preliminary investigation shows a 29-year-old man had attempted to add shock to his pool by mixing a new chemical with an older one from a different manufacturer. Once the two chemicals mixed, a reaction occured, causing the chemicals to release gas and causing several minor explosions.
The man was transported to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries, but the extent of his condition is unknown. No one else was injured in the incident.
In about two hours the situation was contained and the spill was cleaned up.
Neighbors to the spill were not evacuated and there was at no time a danger to the public.
“A job well done to the members of the Whitman Fire Department and all who responded tonight; it was your combined, swift response and partnership that enabled us to quickly mitigate and clear this dangerous spill and help the victim,” said Whitman Fire Chief Timothy Grenno. “We’re fortunate to have such dedicated local and regional partnerships, including the District One State Hazardous Materials Team and the Whitman Police Department.”
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for alerts on breaking news stories like this one.