Eight left homeless, 3 hospitalized after Charlestown apartment fire

CHARLESTOWN, Mass. — The Boston Fire Department says two adults and one child have been hospitalized following a fire at an apartment in Charlestown early this morning. Eight have been displaced.

The fire was reported at 45 Tufts Street around 1:30 a.m. Boston Fire said it was caused unintentionally after a candle was knocked over. They said four rooms were on fire and crews contained it to one apartment on the second floor.

The Boston Housing Authority and Red Cross is assisting those residents.

The Fire Department says damage is estimated at about $500,000.