19-year-old held without bail in Revere homicide

19-year-old held without bail in Revere homicide
Police say a 20-year-old man died after he was shot outside the Twist & Shake ice cream shop on Revere Beach Boulevard Sunday night. (Boston 25 News)

REVERE, Mass. — A 19-year-old man accused of shooting and killing 20-year-old Yaseen Butt during a confrontation over a stolen backpack in Revere was ordered held without bail during his arraignment Thursday.

Felix Martinez was arraigned by telephone in Chelsea District Court on charges of murder, assault with a dangerous weapon and two counts of armed robbery.

Butt was fatally shot outside the Twist & Shake ice cream shop on Revere Beach Boulevard Sunday night, police said. Judge Matthew Machera ordered Martinez held without bail while the case is pending.

Content Continues Below

Martinez is accused of participating in a robbery on July 26, during which he stole two backpacks – one of which was valued at approximately $800 – from Butt and a second person in the area of Garfield Avenue, Assistant District Attorney David McGowan told the court.

During the robbery, the person who was with Martinez showed what appeared to be a firearm, McGowan said.

After the robbery, the victims gathered with some companions and set out to find Martinez to try and retrieve the backpacks. They found Martinez among a group of people in the area of Revere Beach Boulevard, and he had one of the backpacks, McGowan said.

During a confrontation between the two groups, Martinez allegedly tried to obtain a firearm from another person. Butt, who then walked away from the area, was chased by Martinez and a group of males to a grassy area near 82 Revere Beach Blvd.

Butt fell to the ground, where the group began to kick and beat him. During the assault, Martinez shot Butt, prosecutors said.

Butt was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he later died.

Security cameras captured Martinez and other members of the group fleeing into a nearby MBTA station. Martinez jumped onto the live tracks and was narrowly missed by a train as he made his escape, prosecutors said.

During the course of the investigation, detectives gathered additional evidence from security camera footage, social media, witness statements, and ballistic evidence. The State Police continue to investigate this case with the assistance of the Revere Police Department.

In a statement, Revere Police Chief David Callahan called Butt’s murder “a terrible and heinous crime."

“First and foremost, my thoughts and prayers go out to the victim’s family. As a community, we’re all shocked by this terrible and heinous crime,” Callahan said. “I want to thank the investigators who worked tirelessly on this case over the last several days, leading to today’s arrest. Revere Police are continuing to work with State Police detectives and the Suffolk DA’s Office to make sure that those who had a role in this crime are arrested, and to prevent further violence in the City of Revere.”

“Yaseen’s life was stolen over a backpack. This violence and complete disregard for human life is unacceptable. The State Police detectives assigned to my Office will continue to work alongside the Revere Police Department to make sure those responsible for Yaseen’s murder are held accountable,” District Attorney Rachael Rollins said. “We intend to support Yaseen’s loved ones and connect them with resources. We will also work directly with the Revere community in the wake of this senseless act of violence.”

Martinez is due back in court on Sept. 2.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for alerts on breaking news stories like this one.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter.