Lawyers for driver accused in MSP trooper's death withdraw from case

Lawyers for driver accused in MSP trooper's death withdraw from case

BOSTON — The lawyers for a Massachusetts man charged with manslaughter in the death of a State Police trooper have withdrawn from the case.

Court documents show attorneys Peter Ettenberg and Jaclyn Rose Greenhalgh filed a motion Monday in Worcester Superior Court to stop representing David Njuguna.

"I think he has been quite anxious, he has been afraid as he has mentioned to the court," Etternburg said in court.

Content Continues Below

The attorneys cited an irretrievable breakdown of the attorney-client relationship. Judge Janet Kenton-Walker approved the request.

"I believe it is up to him," Njuguna's friend Davis Gitau said. "I just feel that was not the right lawyer for him."

Lawyer Michael Hussey now represents Njuguna.

Prosecutors say the 33-year-old Webster resident was speeding and high on marijuana on Mar. 16, 2016, when he struck 44-year-old Trooper Thomas Clardy's cruiser on the Massachusetts Turnpike in Charlton.

Njuguna maintains he lost consciousness because of a "medical event."

Njuguna's trial wrapped up last week after seven days. He's waived a jury trial so Kenton-Walker will decide the case. The next step could be a motion from the new counsel and it could involve asking for a new trial. At the same time, the judge's verdict is expected in the coming days.