MARLBOROUGH, Mass. — Homeowners have dubbed their four-legged friends heroes after their Marlborough home caught fire overnight.
Firefighters were called to 144 Chestnut Street in Marlborough just before 2:30 a.m. after a 2-family home caught fire.
The family tells Boston 25 News that their 3-year-old poodle Divi woke them up after the home caught fire. They say he's the reason they made it out safely.
Firefighters were concerned that the flames were going to spread to surrounding homes, but they were able to contain it.
A neighbor says he was evacuated and initially thought it was his house burning at first.
"Tried knocking to wake us up, we didn't wake up so they knocked the door down," said neighbor Jim Heafey. "We thought it was our house at first because the door was knocked down and you could smell smoke coming in through the hallway."
Units from Sudbury, Northborough, Southborough, Hudson and Berlin all responded for assistance.
The house is now a total loss and four people have been displaced.
© 2020 Cox Media Group