WINDHAM, N.H. — Earlier this week, Windham High School officials announced students would be starting school remotely for the remainder of the week due to a recent COVID-19 cluster among the student body.
However, by Thursday, the number of students testing positive for COVID-19 was so high the school had to make the executive decision to continue the remote learning model until it is safe for students and staff to go back to the classroom.
After receiving confirmation from DHHS, WHS officials reported 18 students have been infected by the novel coronavirus. The school says the social gathering where the virus spread to several students was not linked to a school-related event as previously thought.
School and health officials will continue to monitor the situation and continue their contact-tracing efforts while working directly with families that are involved to help curb the spread and potential impact to others.
Mental health counselors will also be available to support students, staff and the community during these difficult times. A detailed list of resources has been sent to students and parents.
“We know that this is a trying time and we understand that many of our high school students and families are disappointed to start the 2020-21 year remotely,” said Superintendent of Schools Richard Langlois. “However, we need to stay united and be supportive for the students and families that are recovering from this virus. Aside from the invisible battle we are facing, there have been many victories. Our schools are open and we are successfully operating our district’s multiple learning models. Our students and staff have done an amazing job adhering to all social distancing guidelines. Let’s keep up the great work and continue to spread positivity and support.”
Download the free Boston 25 News app for up-to-the-minute push alerts