SCITUATE, Mass. - Five people were rescued by good Samaritans after their boat caught on fire Tuesday afternoon.
Sky25 flew over the scene at Scituate Harbor Marina Tuesday afternoon where members from the Coast Guard, Scituate Fire, and the Harbormaster could be seen alongside a charred boat.
Authorities say the boat caught fire as the family was getting fuel at a dock.
"Apparently, there must have been a leak of some sort down there, when he turned the battery on that’s when everything, from what I understand everything ignited," said Fire Chief John Murphy.
The five people on the boat jumped into the water. A father and son suffered some burns.
Good Samaritans on another boat helped the five people. A total of 13 people, including some first responders, were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The Harbormaster secured the boat, which drifted away, and made sure the fire was completely out. Murphy said thankfully, conditions were not windy, otherwise, things could have been much worse.
"Marina fires are probably one of the most difficult fires we can fight, the fiberglass and the fuel potentials for explosions and typically these types of fires you can’t just put out with just water," he said.
Everyone involved is expected to be OK.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.