Gas station employee seriously injured after being struck by SUV in Weymouth

Gas station clerk fighting for his life after getting hit by car

WEYMOUTH, Mass. — A gas station attendant is fighting for his life after he was hit by an SUV at a Mobil station on Main Street Monday, police said.

Police said the driver of an SUV hit the 64-year-old employee around 8 p.m. as he was crossing between the gas pumps at the full-service station on Route 18 in Weymouth. Boston 25 News has learned the victim's name is Majid Ahmed Hamade, but those who frequent the Mobil station know him as Mike.

Surveillance video shows the moment he was knocked over by the vehicle as people inside rushed to help. A police officer working a detail near the gas station also ran to help. Weymouth Police said he was rushed to South Shore Hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to a news release.

Content Continues Below

The driver of the SUV stayed at the scene, police said, and the vehicle was seen behind yellow police tape at the crash scene.

Investigators remained on scene for a few hours to speak to multiple witnesses and officers from the crash analysis and reconstruction team returned Tuesday morning as the investigation continued.

The manager of the Mobil told Boston 25 News Hamade has been working there for more than 10 years. Co-workers visited him in the hospital Tuesday and tell us he is unresponsive and not doing well.

"He’s in bad shape. I don’t know if he’s going to survive or not to be honest. We need all to pray for him," said owner Abe Nassif.

We've learned this isn't Hamade's first brush with death. Surveillance video from January shows him fighting off robbers at the gas station before being pistol-whipped.

"The night he was robbed he came back to work that same night. He was very determined," said Tony, a co-worker.

Co-workers are hoping that same determination will help him pull through once again.

"Keep praying for him. I hope he makes it. That’s all," said Nassif.

Right now, Hamade is surrounded by family as they wait for his son who is currently deployed with the U.S. Army in Africa to come home and see him.

Boston 25 News reached out to police to see if any charged will be filed. We have not yet heard back.