Fallen Yarmouth Officer Sean Gannon laid to rest as sergeant

Fallen Yarmouth Officer Sean Gannon laid to rest as sergeant

YARMOUTH, Mass. — Law enforcement from as far away as Florida and California attended the funeral services Wednesday morning for a Yarmouth police officer shot and killed last week while serving a warrant in Barnstable.

The funeral mass for Gannon was held at 11 a.m. at St. Pius X church in Yarmouth, and a private burial followed.

MORE: Thousands pay final respects to fallen Yarmouth police Officer Sean Gannon

Content Continues Below

Thousands of people lined the streets Tuesday as Gannon’s body was brought from the funeral home in Hyannis to the church before his wake.

"Women, children, men and boys, every one of them was quiet, respectful. The first time I think I could I think hear a pin drop and you could hear it on Route 28," Yarmouth Police Chief Frank Frederickson said.

Gannon, 32, was shot and killed last week while he and other officers were serving a warrant at a home in Barnstable.

Barnstable and Yarmouth police officers have been keeping watch over Gannon’s body since he was killed.

That continued Tuesday night when an honor guard remained at the church, and will remain until the start of his funeral mass Wednesday morning.

Hundreds of family, friends and colleagues packed St. Pius X church for the funeral mass. Thousands of officers from around the country stood at attention outside.

A line of blue created by uniformed officers marched from the local high school to the church before the service started. It was made up by representatives from departments across Massachusetts and New England, from New York City and Chicago, and from as far away as Texas and California.

"We give him back to you without a murmur, but our hearts are wrung with sorrow," the Rev. Paul Caron said during a short service without a eulogy.

Caron told the story about the day he arrived at the Cape Cod parish last year. A secretary called to tell him police were on the way to his office.

"I wasn't here long enough to be in trouble," Caron said.

He heard a bang on his door and the words, "Police! Open up!"

He opened the door to find Gannon, who hugged him and welcomed him to town.

"So now we come together and mourn his death, but we also give thanks that he lived, that we knew him on some level," Caron said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report