Fireworks believed to have sparked fire on Randolph Town Hall roof

Fireworks likely to blame for roof fire at Randolph Town Hall

RANDOLPH, Mass. — A fire that damaged the roof of the Randolph Town Hall Wednesday night is believed to have been caused by fireworks embers, according to officials.

Smoke started showing around 10 p.m. from the town hall roof, just after the town's Fourth of July fireworks display wrapped up, and while the fire was extinguished quickly, it damaged an airconditioner and part of the rubber roof, town officials said in a news release.

In addition to town fireworks, Randolph Police said residents were lighting their own illegal fireworks off near the town hall.

Content Continues Below

"Let this incident serve as a reminder to all that fireworks, while beautiful to behold, are not without their risks," Brian P. Howard, the town manager, said in the release, "especially when they are not left to the professionals.”

No injuries were reported. The town hall should be able to reopen, officials said, but likely will not have air conditioning.

The official cause of the fire is under investigation.