ANDOVER, Mass. - There’s extra security at two local high schools Tuesday morning after more threats were posted to Snapchat, and police said at least one student is facing charges.
School is being held as planned after the situation that began on social media Monday night.
Parents reported a photo to Andover police and school officials that showed a photo of an assault rifle reading “Yes do not come to school tomorrow.”
Officials traced the post to an Andover High School junior. Police went to question him and he was arrested. They also determined the photo of the rifle had been downloaded and was not taken by the teen suspect.
In a statement, the Andover superintendent praised the teamwork of officials, writing “While we are confident that there is no danger, I am proud that the procedures we have in place in the event of a threat were followed.”
It wasn’t the only school to receive a threat Monday.
Pembroke police said they also received a report from Pembroke High School staff about a threatening photo posted on a 16-year-old’s social media account.
Police interviewed the student and parent, and recovered a black BB gun pictured in the post. They said the teen doesn’t have access to weapons, and the social media post was deleted.
In a letter, the superintendent said police are continuing to investigate, writing “The student in question was not in school (Monday), will not be in school (Tuesday), and will not be returning until the investigation is finalized. We are thankful to our students that brought this information forward and it is a true testament to how a ‘See something, say something’ program should work.”
There will also be extra police on hand at Pembroke High School Tuesday.
The student in Andover has been suspended on an emergency basis.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.