Avon Middle High School evacuated because of gas leak

Avon Middle High School evacuated because of gas leak

AVON, Mass. — Student and staff at Avon Middle High School were evacuated Thursday because of a small gas leak due to a heater problem, Avon Fire Chief Robert Spurr told Boston 25 News.

The students were relocated and then dismissed for the day. All after school and evening activities were canceled.

Spurr said the problem was in an area where students are not allowed and has since been fixed.

Content Continues Below

The school will be open Friday for a normal day.

"Thank you to the Avon Schools and Avon Police Department for their help," Spurr added.

Boston 25 News also reached out to Avon Public Schools for comment.