EAST BOSTON - A man accused of murdering a teenager at Bell Isle Marsh last year was apprehended in Texas.
Jorge Melgar Fuentes, 19, is one of two men suspected in the murder of Carlos Villatoro-Nunez. Fuentes was arrested on June 7 by Homeland Security Investigations in Houston, Texas on a separate matter.
On June 30, he was charged with murder.
On Thursday, State Police detectives went to detectives to take custody of Fuentes, still in the Harris County, Texas Sheriff's office.
Villatoro-Nunez' body was found near the Bennington Street entrance of the marsh on Dec. 9, 2016, about a month after he was reported missing.
Moris Javier Landaverde of East Boston, 21 years old, was indicted on first-degree murder for his role on May 1.
The Suffolk County DA said that decomposition complicated the investigation, but they believe he suffered fatal stab wounds.
Based on witness statements, cell phone records and physical evidence, the DA's office said Fuentes and Landaverde killed the 16-year-old as part of gang-related activity.
"Police and prosecutors worked patiently, methodically, and professionally over many months to reach this point," Conley said. "But this is not the end of the case. That day will come only when we speak for a 16-year-old murder victim in a Suffolk County courtroom."
Fuentes is expected to return to Boston Friday afternoon and will be arraigned in East Boston Municipal Court on Monday.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.