Three dead after standoff at hotel in Manchester, New Hampshire

Suspect killed in Manchester, NH standoff had lengthy arrest record

MANCHESTER, N.H. — Two people who were barricaded in a hotel room for nearly 14 hours in Manchester, New Hampshire were found dead by a SWAT team, according to police and the attorney general's office.

In a release hours after the incident was considered 'resolved', police said all three people involved in an altercation with police at the Quality Inn were now dead.

One person was shot and killed by police outside the hotel Wednesday night and two other people were barricaded inside a hotel room on the first floor of the hotel firing at SWAT officers during an hours-long standoff, according to police.

Content Continues Below

In a news conference later in the day, officials said one of the suspects fled the room through the window when police first arrived.

That suspect, identified later as Stephen Marshall, 51, of Manchester, was armed with a silver semi-automatic weapon and began firing at Drug Enforcement Administration Agents, police said. Officers then fired back, injuring Marshall. He was taken to an area hospital, but died shortly after.

Marshall had outstanding warrants, but police declined to reveal what they were.

Police say when they finally gained entry to the room at 10:15 a.m., they found a man and woman who were both deceased. The attorney general's office said it was not immediately clear how they had died and declined to release any specific information or their names.

An autopsy will be performed on both suspects in order to determine the exact cause of death.

The hotel is near Interstate 293 in a busy area that includes a shopping mall. Police had evacuated the hotel and a nearby restaurant Wednesday night.

It's not clear what preceded the officer-involved shooting, some of which was captured on video. New Hampshire Attorney General Gordon J. MacDonald's office is leading the investigation and the Manchester officer is now on administrative leave, as is protocol in officer-involved shootings.

The name of the officer and the DEA agent involved in the shooting have not been released. Capano said during the news conference that their names are "being withheld pending their interviews."

Senior Assistant Attorney General Ben Agati said a Manchester police officer and a DEA agent both fired their weapons.

"I can tell you that they were dealing with multiple gun shots pretty much every hour for that nine-hour stretch," Agati said.

Agati declined to discuss Marshall's criminal past, but court documents dating back a decade show the 51-year-old Nashua man had been arrested at least a dozen times, with multiple drug and theft cases on his record. He also had been charged with resisting arrest, bail jumping and DUI.

Marshall routinely failed to appear in court, and was wanted when authorities found him hiding out at the Quality Inn in Manchester Wednesday.


New Hampshire officials providing update on continuing standoff at Manchester hotel

Posted by Boston 25 News on Thursday, March 28, 2019

No officers were injured.

Update #18 We completed a press conference at Police Headquarters to discuss the officer involved shooting last night....

Posted by Manchester NH Police on Thursday, March 28, 2019

Manchester police had been providing hourly updates on Twitter. Nashua SWAT officers relieved some Manchester SWAT members around 7:30 a.m., according to a Facebook post.

Officials are asking anyone with information to contact Sgt. Matt Amatucci of the New Hampshire State Police Major Crime Unit at 603-419-8291.

The investigation into this incident is ongoing.