Boston 25 News interview leads to arrest in deadly hit-and-run

BOSTON - The driver who admitted to Boston 25 News that he hit and killed a man on Commonweatlh Ave in Boston has been arrested.

Phocian Fitts, 23,  was very straight forward in confessing that he did in fact take off from the scene after police said he hit an 80-year-old man in a crosswalk.

Sources told Boston 25 News that police arrested Fitts shortly after 10 p.m. Wednesday night, moments after he admitted to driving away from the scene on an exclusive Boston 25 News report.

>>MORE: 'I'm not worried': Driver makes no apologies for fatal hit-and-run

According to those sources, officials initially did not have enough to charge Fitts based on his limited statements during police questioning.

Fitts says he's not worried about the on-going investigation and repeatedly stated that "accidents happen."

MORE: WATCH: Hit-and-run suspect held on $10K bail after confessing to Boston 25 News

"Right now I’m not worried about nothing, I’m not a stone cold killer, I didn’t do nothing on purpose," said Fitts. “People hit and run people all the time."

Just hours after the incident, Fitts told Boston 25 News he was the one behind the wheel and is making no apologies.

"It wasn’t intentional," said Fitts. "Accidents happen all the time, it was an accident."

MORE: South End resident's hit-and-run death in Allston 'a terrible shock' to family

When Fitts spoke to Boston 25 News, he was still wearing the disposable suit given to him during police questioning after his clothes were seized as potential evidence.

Phocian Fitts stands firmly stands behind his decision to keep driving, even after he hit a man in broad daylight.

"First off I was scared and worried because I didn't know what can happen that's why I left I said, 'God forbid  I hope he's okay,'" said Fitts.

The 80-year-old man struck by Fitts' Jeep was transported to a local hospital, but later died from his injuries.

MORE: Car fatally hits man on Comm. Ave. in Allston

"I was listening to my music and as I was driving I was driving too quick, I was driving too quick to the point where I couldn't really stop and it was a green light," said Fitts. "As the guy was walking, the light was green, I'm driving and pressing the horn, 'beep beep' - it was either I was going to die and crash into a pole when it came down to it."

Fitts was taken into custody less than one mile from the scene, at the Brighton Housing Community where he lives with his mother.

There, investigators carefully examined Fitt's Jeep, before towing it away for further processing.

"They release me because I'm not guilty," said Fitts. "I'm a real gangster, not in a bad way, I'm a gangster because I help out the community and I look out for the youth."